Saturday, November 26, 2005

Changes down the road ... ?

Ever since I started school back in August, there's been some discussion about perhaps moving from the online college experience, and actually making the journey 300 miles north to the University of Maine. Daunting. More than daunting. Terrifying ...

It makes sense though. My credit hours at DeVry are $480 apiece! Imagine! I don't expect to live long enough to pay that sort of tuition back ... *cringe*

Up at the University of Maine, my tuition per credit hour would be less than $200. With that sort of fee, I think my financial aid would even pay for housing.

And that's not all ...

At U of M, I believe I would be able to take an actual Medical Informatics course which is well balanced between the medical sciences and IT. That would cut two years from my education. At the moment, I'm taking Health Information Technology, really light in the computer sciences, but heavy in health tech - with a bit of health management on the side. After finishing up, I'd need to start from scratch with DeVry's Biomedical In
formatics course, which is far too weighted toward the IT side, and very light on the medical side. I was hoping to do it this way in order to have a better rounded education. However ... reality is: I'm going to be nearly 60 when I graduate!

... Right! ... I'll be dribbling on my diploma!

But at 54, with some serious health concerns,
the thought of moving away from home for 10 months out of each year for the next 4 to 6 years is, to put it mildy, a little looney sounding.

My son who's a student up at U of M was home for Thanksgiving, and we were discussing the possibilities. He assures me that there's plenty of *cough* "old people" up there going to school, and that I would not be roomed with some 18 year old, gum snapping, boyfriend chasing, green haired ... *blink* ... (did I say that OUT LOUD??? ;-)

There's a geriatric dorm at the University of Maine???

Anyway, he would still be up there the entire time I would be, since he's staying there in order to get his PhD, so that would be a plus. But still ...

College on my lap top ... safe, easy, no-hassle ... ... ... leaving home, sitting in class rooms, living in a dorm ... !?!?

I wonder if the student canteen sells Depends ... ?




4 Comments:

Blogger Moof said...

Sorry William! I was laughing so hard when I read your comment that I hit the wrong link!!!

Here is William's comment, in full:

WoW! think of the opertunity, all the doors being opened to you, posing for the soon to be released Girls of U of M 2006 calander, being in a Girls Gone Wild video, having you pix plaster far and wide on the internet during one of those off campus drinking things they do......green hair?? Maybe the lap-top is a better mode of study. lol :-)

Sunday, November 27, 2005 12:57:00 PM  
Blogger It's me, T.J. said...

There's a geriatric dorm at the University of Maine???

Just in case there isn't, make sure that you get a room on the bottom floor; claim the bottom bunk that is the closest to the bathroom that has a night light.

BTW... don't totally dismiss green hair. At least it's hair that has some color to it.

later...

Sunday, November 27, 2005 3:38:00 PM  
Blogger Moof said...

*LOL* T.J.! You're too cute! I haven't had "color" in my hair since sometime after 40, and even in my 30's I had a horrendous skunk-stripe that looked only too conveniently like a "Lily Munster" special ...

The bottom bunk nearest the bathroom, eh? Sounds like the voice of experience! As often as I make that trip during the night, I may not even NEED a bunk! ;-)

Sunday, November 27, 2005 4:17:00 PM  
Blogger Doc Shazam said...

College on your laptop, no question about it. You can visit your son whenever you want.

On the otherhand, my grandmother and my uncle received their Purdue college diplomas on the same day at the same ceremony.

Monday, November 28, 2005 2:43:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home