Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Of Urban Legends and Dinner Dates


Now, don't get me wrong - I love going out to eat. If I could, I would go to a different restaurant every single day - or actually, the same ones over and over, because I'm inescapably a creature of habit. But- I would never leave the house before 4 PM - and I would only rarely do it with a single person.

Why? * Mornings * are * so * hard * for * me. * Having to be someplace before noon is enough to give me avoidance dreams all night long. I'm not a lay-a-bed, I just don't like leaving the house in the morning. Mornings are when I do my best with certain types of school work, my house cleaning, any sort of busy activity that doesn't call for a lot of deeeeeep thought. Socializing does not fit in that category. My poor, ol' beaten up bod wakes up long before my bemused and befuddled brain.

I especially dread lunches with people whom I know are going to expect me to do more than listen to them ... I'm a good listener ... but I hate having to talk. Add that to the knowledge that the person you're meeting kept you on a leash in Wal-Mart for two hours the last time you ran into them ... *cringe* !!! Groups are easy - someone is always willing to chit-chat, keep the conversation going ... but one on one ... ohhhh man!

Folks ... it's gonna be a long day.

When I get home, I'm going to have slightly more fun ... *cough.* This week, I have to do a persuasive essay ... on Urban Legends. Did you hear the groan from all the way wherever you are? Oh my! Gen Eds are so much fun! Again, don't get me wrong - I love to write. But Urban Legends? I'm only slightly more interested in Urban Legends than I am daytime soap operas, or the spam that hits my inbox; my greatest interest where the former are concerned is that I don't have to be where I can hear them, and with the latter - making it stop!

Ah well, what is it that my dear sainted Mother used to say? "This too shall pass!" Sounded different in French though .... ;-)

And so, off to face my day - full of the "fluff" that gums up an otherwise nice peanut butter sandwich ... if I survive, I'll drop another note later ... 0.o




Addendum: There are times that I enjoy a nice, quiet "one on one" ... for example, when I'm with someone I can share a comfortable silence with, like my dear mother-in-law, or when someone needs a "sounding board." Being a "sounding board" is easy, but comfortable silences are precious, and hard to come by ...




Addendum to the addendum: maybe there is such a thing as answered prayer? My "dinner date" never showed up! That leaves me free to help another friend who is moving carry boxes ... isn't life grand? *blink*




Addendum to the addendum to the ... erm ... you get the idea ...

That friend I was going to help ... she left without me ... I never even saw her. Just she and one of my sons. I got to spend nearly 4 hours at the library doing research. Still amazed! Fortunate fluke of fate! ;-)

.

2 Comments:

Blogger AB5SY said...

Even though I can not stay in bed once my eyes open, I do need to be kicked started to clear the fog...........

Tuesday, November 29, 2005 7:45:00 PM  
Blogger Moof said...

*tries hard to picture William being kick started*

Sounds painful! ;-)

.

Tuesday, November 29, 2005 8:49:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home